La fraisne


«For I was a gaunt, grave councillor
Being in all things wise, and very old,
But I have put aside this folly and the cold
That old age weareth for a cloak.

I was quite strong -at least they said so-
The young men at the sword-play;
But I have put aside this folly, being gay
In another fashion that more suiteth me.


I have curled 'mid the boles of the ash wood,
I have hidden my face where the oak
Spread his leaves over me, and the yoke
Of the old ways of men have I cast aside.


By the still pool of Mar-nan-otha
Have I found me a bride
That was a dog-wood tree some syne.
She hath called me from mine old ways
She hath hushed my rancour of council,
Bidding me praise

Naught but the wind that flutters in the leaves.

She hath drawn me from mine old ways,
Till men say that I am mad;
But I have seen the sorrow of men, and am glad,
For I know that the wailing and bitterness are a folly.
And I? I have put aside all folly and all grief.
I wrapped my tears in an ellum leaf
And left them under a stone
And now men call me mad because I have thrown
All folly from me, putting it aside
To leave the old barren ways of men,
Because my bride
Is a pool of the wood, and
Though all men say that I am mad
It is only that I am glad,
Very glad, for my bride hath toward me a great love
That is sweeter than the love of women
That plague and burn and drive one away.

Aie-e! 'Tis true that I am gay
Quite gay, for I have her alone here
And no man troubleth us.

Once when I was among the young men . . .
And they said I was quite strong, among the young men.
Once there was a woman . . .
. . . but I forget . . . she was . .
... I hope she will not come again.

... I do not remember...

I think she hurt me once, but . .
That was very long ago.

I do not like to remember things any more.

I like one little band of winds that blow
In the ash trees here:
For we are quite alone
Here 'mid the ash trees.»


La fraisne


«Yo era un adusto y grave consejero,
sabio en todos los temas y muy viejo,
pero deseché esa locura y el frío
que la vejez ofrece como un manto.

Yo era bastante fuerte –eso, al menos, decían
los jóvenes al batirnos a espada;
pero deseché esa locura, estoy alegre
de una manera que me sienta mejor.

Me enrosqué en los troncos de la fresneda,
oculté mi rostro donde el roble extendía
sus hojas sobre mí, y el yugo de los viejos
hábitos de los hombres rechacé.

Junto al plácido lago de Mar-nan-otha
encontré para mí una prometida
que había sido un cornejo tiempo atrás.
Ella me hizo alejarme de mis viejos hábitos,
ella calmó mi rencor de consejero,
haciendo que alabase solamente

el viento que se agita entre las hojas.

Ella me hizo alejarme de mis viejos hábitos,
hasta los hombres dicen que estoy loco;
pero he visto cómo sufren los hombres, y me alegro,
porque sé que amargor y quejas son locura.
¿Y yo? Yo deseché todo el dolor y toda la locura.
Envolví mis lágrimas en una hoja de olmo
y las dejé bajo una piedra
y ahora los hombres dicen que estoy loco porque arrojé de mí
toda locura, y la dejé de lado
para abandonar los viejos y yermos hábitos de los hombres,
porque mi prometida
es un lago del bosque,
y aunque todos los hombres dicen que estoy loco
yo sólo estoy alegre, muy alegre,
porque mi prometida siente hacia mi un amor que es
mucho más dulce que el de las mujeres
que a uno lo abrasa y atormenta y lo conduce al extravío.

¡Aie-e! Estoy alegre, es la verdad
y mucho, porque la tengo a solas para mí
y ningún hombre nos perturba.

Una vez cuando estaba entre jóvenes
- y decían que era bastante fuerte entre los jóvenes-,
una vez hubo una mujer...
...pero lo olvido... era...
...espero que no vuelva de nuevo.

...No recuerdo....

Creo que una vez me hizo daño, pero...
Eso ocurrió hace mucho.

Ya no me gusta recordar las cosas.

Me gusta una pequeña orquestra de vientos resonado
aquí entre los fresnos:
pues estamos muy solos,
aquí, entre los fresnos.»


(versión de Jesús Muñárriz y Jenaro Talens)

Personae

Ezra Pound